Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go. (Prov 22.24)
While pondering such words as these, it occurs that this blogger may fit the description. Angry? Furious? Not really but bitter? Whoa!
For a long time prayer life has included the request that two loved ones avoid bitterness. It burdens this heart when bitterness is heard in their words. This morning, a revelation; the wicked One seeks to root such a seed in my heart.
Recent conversation, if it could be called that, included "why did you do that?" After responding, twice, to what was in this heart, the inquiry would not die. Proverbs 26.20 is plain, Where no wood is, the fire goeth out... These words are burned into the very fiber of my being. Stated another way, "If you do not accept the premise of the inquiry or question, don't answer!"
It could be concluded that the inquirer sought to really understand what I did, however, such inquirer wouldn't let up! Romans 12.18 points out, If it be possible, AS MUCH as lieth within you, live peaceably with ALL men. My only choice was to leave the conversation. It left this heart with much grief because it was with such an loved one but nothing else was to be done. I must wait the Lord's conclusion of the matter. I understood to leave the conversation was to make the inquirer also feel bad but what else to do?While angry and furious were probably not the emotions used in this last encounter, I did understand the will of the wicked One is to "separate, divide and conquer." My response will be peaceable when next we encounter each other. The real adversary is Satan, never forget that, dear readers. On reflection, I also began to comprehend the real reason for the inquirers response.
Based on the feelings this morning as compared to yesterday, I will
- lay no (more) wood on the fire
- attempt to live peaceably
- keep any friendship at a distance until the inquirer settles down